Monday, May 26, 2014

Going Back in Time....with Strawberry Preserves!!

This weekend I decided to try my hand at making some homemade strawberry preserves.  This homemade sweetness reminds of being a little kid.  I can remember eating this at home and at my grandparents' house.  So good!!!

I started off with the necessary ingredients....
  • strawberries
  • sugar
  • Sure Jell
I followed the instructions in the Sure Jell package for the "quick and easy" jam.  (I am not sure the difference in jam and preserves.  We just always called it preserves growing up.)  The recipe calls for 2 cups of strawberries (crushed, here I used my food processor on pulse), 4 cups of sugar, and one box of Sure Jell.  Believe me.....the recipe is definitely easy if I can do it. :)

This is what I ended up with.....

Once everything is mixed together and in appropriate containers, it must set for 24 hours.  After it sets, you can keep in the refrigerator for 3 weeks or freezer for one year!

Next came the taste test this morning....
  

The result was DELICIOUSNESS!!!  Tastes just like it did when I was little!

I can take a small trip down memory lane each time I bite into a biscuit with some homemade strawberry preserves (or jam whichever you prefer to call it). :)   

Anyone else have a food that just transports you back to when you were little?

No comments:

Post a Comment